reposted & updated from 2010
Within the Octave of Christmas
DOUBLE, SECOND CLASS / PURPLE
There is mixed joy and sorrow in the feast of the innocent victims of the first persecution. The Church rejoices at the spiritual victory of the young witnesses to Christ. The purple vestments of the Mass denote the Church’s common grief with the mothers of Bethlehem, who saw their babies massacred by the jealousy of Herod.
While it is easy to get lost in the nightmare of what happened to the Innocents, it’s to be remembered that they ultimately triumphed! They are Saints of God, as this painting by William Holman Hunt shows. The Innocents are seen with the Holy Family, in spirit, during the Family’s Flight to Egypt. ~ Fisheaters
- Holy Innocents Story – For Kids
- Holy Innocents – EWTN
- Shrine of the Holy Innocents – Video Prayer for ALL (upload is slow)
- Continuation of a fairly new tradition for my family – the youngest child will “rule for the day.” You can read more about this custom here and here.
- Printable Prayer Card to End Abortion – Holy Reflections
- Instruction on the Feast of the Holy Innocents – Crusaders for Christ.
- The Mystery of Suffering Innocents – Vultus Christi
- On The Feast of the Holy Innocents, A Meditation on the Sins Committed Against Children – Msgr. Charles Pope
- Start a Novena to the Magi in anticipation of the Epiphany. – This Novena is especially prayed beginning on 28 December (the Feast of the Holy Innocents) and ending on 5 January (the Vigil of the Epiphany).