I am finding it necessary for me to renew my Lenten resolutions on a regular basis. My spirit is willing but my flesh is weak. Matthew 26:41
Below is an excerpt from a sermon on Audio Sancto. It has helped me stay firm in my resolve.
Corporal: (external practices)
- Take less of what you like today and more of what you dislike at meals today.
- Take nothing to drink between meals.
- Do not use seasoning on your food today.
- Do not use any sweeteners with your food or drinks today.
- Avoid listening to the radio at all today.
- Take nothing to eat between meals today.
- Avoid any TV or videos, instead, read the passion of the Christ in your bible or missal.
- Take only one helping of each item at meals today.
- Say an extra rosary.
Spiritual: (internal practices)
- Don’t do any unnecessary talking instead say little prayers, aspiration throughout the day – My Jesus Mercy.
- Exercise your patience today in all things.
- Don’t make any complaints today.
- Restrain any anger and go out of your way to be kind to the person who caused you anger.
- Don’t be distracted with someone else’s business.
- Avoid any gossip today. Instead, say an extra rosary to overcome this great fall.
- When asked to do something extra, do it with a joyful and pleasant attitude today.
- Speak in a pleasant tone to everyone today.
- Avoid using the phone today.
- Tell the truth in all your dealings today.
- Avoid any vanity or self-seeking today.
Practices to Grow in Virtue & Good Works:
- Practice humility today in all your actions.
- Be generous today. Help someone in need.
- Look for ways to be helpful throughout the day.
- Do a job that needs to be done without being asked.
- Be courageous, walk away from any impure situations today.
- Don’t be idle at all today, always be doing something for others or for your spiritual growth.
- Go out of your way today to help or talk to someone who is usually difficult.
- Volunteer for an extra job today.
- Say an extra rosary today for the conversion of a sinner.
- Visit someone who is sick or lonesome today and offer to say the rosary with them