May Luke, Thy holy Evangelist, O Lord, we beseech Thee, intercede in our behalf, who for the honour of Thy name bore continually in his body the mortification of the cross. Through our Lord
October 18 – DOUBLE, SECOND CLASS / RED
St. Luke, the inspired author of the third Gospel and of the Acts of the Apostles, was a native of Antioch in Syria and a physician, and one of the early converts from paganism. He accompanied St. Paul on a considerable part of his missionary journeying, even companioning him in prison at Rome on two different occasions. His account of these events, contained in the Acts, is firsthand history.
Luke’s Gospel is, above all, the Gospel of the Merciful Heart of Jesus. It emphasizes the fact that Christ is the salvation of all men, especially of the repentant sinner and of the lowly. Legend says that Luke painted the Blessed Virgin’s portrait. It is certainly true that he painted the most beautiful word-picture of Mary ever written.
Patron: Artists; bachelors; bookbinders; brewers; butchers; glassworkers; goldsmiths; lacemakers; notaries; painters; physicians; sculptors; stained glass workers; surgeons.
Symbols: Winged ox; winged calf; ox; picture of the Virgin; palette and brushes; phials of medicine; physician’s robes; easel; book and pen; hatchet; wooden horse; books of his Gospel and of the Acts; bishop; painting an icon of our Lady.
Crafts & Activities
- St. Luke the Evangelist Ornament Craft – Catholic Inspired
- St. Luke Coloring Page – Waltzing Matilda
- St. Luke the Evangelist Coloring Page – City Wife Country Life
- Gospel of St. Luke Coloring Page – Color the Bible
- St. Luke’s Artist Palette Cookies – Catholic Cuisine
- St. Luke Feast Day Tea – Training Happy Hearts
- St. Luke & Our Lady of Czestochowa Art Study – Catholic Culture